It-essentials v7.0 Chapter 2 Exam Answers
1. What is a good safety precaution to take when opening a computer case?
Place tape over the case edges that are sharp.*
Remove the cover (or door) of the computer case before installing or removing parts.
Remove the connections to the front panel before extending the case fully open.
Ensure that any loose clothing such as a tie or shirt stay in constant contact with the case when handling internal components.
2. What does the “A” in P-A-S-S remind a person to do while using a fire extinguisher?
Aim the fire extinguisher at the flames.
Aim the fire extinguisher at the base of the fire.*
Activate the fire extinguisher.
Adjust the pressure.
3. How is a power supply commonly attached to a tower case?
4. A technician is replacing a power supply. Which two factors should the technician consider when obtaining the replacement part? (Choose two.)
type of case*
input voltage level of 12 or 5 VDC
number of internal fans
5. A technician is installing additional memory in a computer. How can the technician guarantee that the memory is correctly aligned?
The label on the memory module should always face the CPU.
A notch in the memory module should be aligned with a notch in the memory slot.*
The arrows on the memory module should be aligned with the arrows on the motherboard slot.
Memory slots are color coded, with one end red and one end blue.
6. What is used to prevent the motherboard from touching metal portions of the computer case?
an I/O shield
7. Which statement describes the purpose of an I/O connector plate?
It makes the I/O ports of the motherboard available for connection in a variety of computer cases.*
It plugs into the motherboard and expands the number of available slots for adapter cards.
It provides multiple connections for SATA hard drives to connect to the motherboard.
It connects the PCIe adapter slots used for video directly to the CPU for faster processing.
8. What are three important considerations when installing a CPU on a motherboard? (Choose three.)
Antistatic precautions are taken.*
The CPU is correctly aligned and placed in the socket.*
The CPU contacts are first cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.
The CPU heat sink and fan assembly are correctly installed.*
The CMOS EPROM battery is removed prior to installing the CPU.
Maximum insertion force is applied to the load lever so the CPU is locked in place.
9. When a new PC is being built, which component has the most influence when selecting the case and power supply?
hard disk type
10. Which two factors must be considered when replacing old RAM modules in a PC? (Choose two.)
The new RAM must be compatible with BIOS or UEFI.
The new RAM must be compatible with the motherboard. *
The speed of the new RAM must be supported by the chipset.*
The power supply must provide the voltage that is requred by the new RAM.
The new RAM must match the old RAM in terms of capacity and speed.
11. Refer to the exhibit.
In which section of the motherboard would a memory module be installed?
12. Which type of motherboard expansion slot sends data one bit at a time over a serial bus?
13. Which PC motherboard bus is used to connect the CPU to RAM and other motherboard components?
14. Where is buffered memory commonly used?
15. A technician has been asked to upgrade a processor and needs to do some research. The computer is just a couple of years old. What are two types of processor packages that could be used inside the computer? (Choose two.)
16. A student is looking to add memory in order to speed up a tower computer. Which type of memory module should the student be looking for?
17. Which type of drive is typically installed in a 5.25 inch (13.34 cm) bay?
18. A technician has been asked to order a replacement internal SATA HDD. Between which two form factors will the technician have to choose? (Choose two.)
25 inch (5.72 cm)
5 inch (6.35 cm) *
5 inch (8.89 cm)*
5 inch (13.97 cm)
25 inch (15.88 cm)
19. While shopping for a replacement motherboard, a customer decides to also purchase a new mechanical hard drive and asks the technical salesperson for advice. Which storage interface should the salesperson recommend for the motherboard and new drive?
20. Which type of motherboard expansion slot has four types ranging from x1 to x16 with each type having a different length of expansion slot?
21. A technician is installing a new high-end video adapter card into an expansion slot on a motherboard. What may be needed to operate this video adapter card?
PCI expansion slot
PCIe x 8 expansion slot
Two 8-pin power connectors*
24-pin ATX power connector
22. Refer to the exhibit.
Which type of expansion slot is shown?
23. Refer to the exhibit.
Which device is shown?
24. When assembling a PC, how is pin 1 identified on the front panel cables so that it can be aligned properly with pin 1 on the motherboard panel connector?
by a small arrow or notch*
by a plus sign
by a P1
by a red cable